Love blossoms often on
film sets. Perhaps because of the proximity or because they enact
romantic scenes. Actors and actresses meet on film sets and fall in
love. While love blossoms and culminates into marriage for some, for
others the love stories meet an abrupt end. Here is a look at some of
the great love stories of Bollywood which ended on a bitter note.
Salman Khan and Aishwarya
Rai's story could easily be made into a film. The two good looking
actors met on the sets of 'Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam'. A passionate affair
followed in which Salman became over possessive of his lady love. So
much so that he even hit her. A bruised Aishwarya even made a public
appearance wearing elbow pads and dark glasses and eventually released a
press statement ending her relationship once and for all.
Akshay Kumar and Shilpa
Shetty met on the sets of 'Main Khiladi Tu Anari' but love blossomed on
the sets of 'Dhadkan' for the two. But their relationship came to an
end when Shilpa found out that Akshay was two timing her with Twinkle
Khanna whom he eventually married.
We all were very sure
that Bipasha Basu and John Abraham would eventually get married. But
after nine years of dating, the actor called it quits. The two had met
on the sets of 'Jism' and were open about their relationship status.
While the reason for their breakup isn't clear, we do know that the
break up wasn't a pleasant one.
- Newcomer Shahid Kapoor fell for Raj Kapoor's granddaughter Kareena Kapoor on the sets of 'Fida'. Five years of relationship, several films and an MMS scandal later, the couple abruptly decided to end their relationship just when their film 'Jab We Met' became a smash hit.
Post Salman, Aishwarya
Rai found solace in Vivek Oberoi's arms on the sets of 'Kyun Ho Gaya
Na'. While some feel it was a rebound relationship for Ash, Vivek was
head over heels in love with Ash. So much so that he took on her ex in a
very public feud which backfired leaving Ash red faced.
Nana Patekar was much
married when he met and fell in love with Manisha Koirala on the sets
of 'Khamoshi: The Musical'. They say the relationship ended when
Manisha realised that Patekar wasn't willing to leave his wife for her.
- They made a perfect pair on screen and reminded every one of Amitabh Bachchan and Jaya Bhaduri but Rani Mukerji and Abhishek Bachchan's relationship was short lived. They met on the sets of 'Yuva' , shared crackling chemistry but eventually Abhishek fell for Aishwarya Rai and Rani moved onto Aditya Chopra.
- Two bright newcomers Deepika Padukone and Ranbir Kapoor fell in love on the sets of their second film 'Bachna Ae Hasseno'. After two years of being in a relationship, news of Ranbir's infidelity broke the relationship.
Sanjay Dutt and Madhuri
Dixit were the most talked about couple of the 1990s. They met on the
sets of 'Thanedar' while Sanjay was still grappling over the death of
his wife Richa Sharma when he met Madhuri. While Madhuri's parents
weren't too happy with the relationship, it was Sanjay's involvement in
the 1993 Mumbai blasts that led to their break up.
They say Sanjeev Kumar
and Hema Malini's love story was one sided. Sanjeev Kumar was madly in
love with Hema but she was smitten by Dharmendra. In fact Sanjeev Kumar
even wanted to marry her but Hema Malini's mother never allowed this
story to blossom.
- A much married Guru Dutt fell madly in love with Waheeda Rehman on the sets of 'CID'. But love blossomed for the two on the sets of 'Pyasa'. Guru Dutt was married to singer Geeta Dutt and never wanted to leave her or Waheeda which eventually led to cracks in his marriage as well as his relationship.
Although Dilip Kumar and
Madhubala first met on the sets of 'Jwar Bhata' but fell in love while
working in 'Tarana'. The five year long relationship could have
culminated into marriage had it not been for Madhubala's over
protective father who refused to send her daughter for an outdoor shoot
for 'Naya Daur' which was to feature her and Dilip Kumar together.
- Dev Anand was a rank newcomer when he got a chance to stars opposite the then superstar Suraiya. The duo acted in severn films together and their relationship was a close guarded secret. But the two actors eventually broke up as they belonged to two different communities. Dev was a Hindu and Suraiya was a Muslim and her family was against their alliance.